Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Read: Shadow and Bone

So it isn't strictly a #FridayRead since I finished two days ago.  But I can certainly recommend it as a future read for you!


Genre: Young Adult Fantasy

By: Leigh Bardugo, about whom more can be found here.  Debut novel.

What's it about?  Magic, monsters, an overwhelming darkness and a girl who can master light.

Why did I pick it? I have a weird obsession with all things related to Russian folklore and Russian culture.  Don't get me started on Russian short fiction, either.  And this book was not only awesome for its own story, but also kind of a giant homage to imagery and tropes familiar to the Russophile.

Who will like it?  Fantasy fans who are looking for something a little different, and nonfantasy fans who like a good yarn.  I may have covered a pretty broad range there.   But so does the story--besides magic and adventure, there is a great story of friendship and love, plus court intrigue.

Judging a book by its cover: Can you for this book?  Most definitely--the image captures the folkloric elements of the story, the importance of darkness, a taste of adventure yet also a refined touch.

What are you reading heading into the weekend?

More on Friday Reads here

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading "Oranges are not the only fruit" (but I was forced to for my English course.) It took me a couple of hours, and I was a little disappointed by the ending. I read "The Kite Runner" in about four hours. I liked it. A LOT. However I'm sick of classics now. I don't care if my English course is making me. I'm going to be a rebel and place an order for that book at the library :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth the read--great summer reading!

      Delete