Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Reads: Lord of the Rings

To be fair, this has been an off and on read of mine for about a month (and I'm still not done--I keep going back to it and reading another book from the story).  My Nook died in the middle (the MIDDLE!) of Martin's A Dance with Dragons and I needed a chunker to get me through.  I found this in my husband's section of our library--yes, that's right, I'd never read it:

Genre: Fantasy--in all its original epic-ness.

By: JRR Tolkien.

What's it about?  When accessories go bad.  

Why did I pick it? Aside from just needing something to read, I felt my geekiness was not complete unless I read these books.  I love the movies, and no nerd should see the movie and not read the book, right?

Who will like it?  If you like immersive, loooong books, give this one a try--lazy summer afternoons and long winter evenings would be a good backdrop.  There's also something nearly anthropological about Tolkien's exploration of the cultures and places the characters visit, so it's kind of like an epic story and travelogue in one.

Judging a book by its cover: Can you for this book?  Honestly, I hate the cover.  The one pictured isn't even the one I have, but it's a movie tie-in cover like this one and I have an irrational hatred of those.  Even seeing "Now a Major Motion Picture!" splashed across the original cover is enough to make me bristle.  So, no--you can't.  The book is a piece apart from the movie--you'll recognize the story and characters, but there's a lot that the films changed and left out and highlighted that won't be matched to the book.  (And, by the way, I think that's awesome--Jackson truly adapted the books for the screen, they're not a literal translation.)

What are you reading heading into the weekend?

4 comments:

  1. We first read LOTR as a read aloud for the whole family. Even for the child who was still in a highchair. (I know, we're crazy.) But we all enjoyed it--cookies, hot chocolate, and coloring pages made it fun for the littlest one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOTR...it was quite a long time ago. Accessories go bad ? Yeah, there are plenty of accessories in this one. A Dance with Dragons is boring btw. ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Dance with Dragons has been my least favorite thus far...which makes me kinda sad. I hope the next book picks up!

      Delete