Thursday, November 29, 2012

Celebrating the Small Things with Something Like Champagne

Last week I was maneuvering a grocery cart crammed full with a baby and a week's worth of food plus the ingredients for my contribution to Thanksgiving when I turned the corner in the wine section (between the boxed wine and the "imports" which were mysteriously all from Australia and all named after an animal and a body part) and saw the mini Champagne bottles.

I bought one.

To celebrate.

I had just finished a draft of my WIP and emailed it off to my agent.

Big deal?  In the long run, not really--we're probably far from done with this project, and the big finish of publication is still a long way away and, of course, not even assured for this particular book in any case.

But I believe in celebrating the small things.  If we waited until we reached the finish line, we'd be in for a long wait.  Or perhaps we'd never celebrate--after all, what is the finish line for a writer?  Publication is a milestone, but there's always the next book.  Reaching a certain arbitrary sales number or readership?  There's always doing one better.  We're never done, so why wait to celebrate what we have accomplished along the way?

So I bought the mini bottle of Champagne (well, something like Champagne but not true Champagne) and chilled it in the drawer of the fridge between the Ranch dressing and the mustard.  After the baby was down for the night, I popped the cork (well, twisted the cap off, in truth) and poured myself a flute of golden bubbles.

I enjoyed it.

What milestones do you celebrate?  How do you celebrate them?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. You have to celebrate the milestones you accomplish. If you're always waiting for the next thing, you miss what you've already done.

    I buy champagne and expensive finger food--gourmet cheeses, smoked salmon, etc. We have a family party and I take pictures.

    ReplyDelete