Friday, November 16, 2012

Friday Reads: The Night Circus


Genre: Magical Realism, Historical-style

By: Erin Morgenstern

What's it about?  Why, magic, of course.  And a magical circus spun like sweet, delicate, precarious sugar candy out of a competition between two young magicians, groomed for the challenge by old rivals.  

Why did I pick it? I kept hearing and reading about this book, and it was too strange and beautiful of a concept not to give it a go.  Plus I ran across it in the shelves of the library on my last pre-baby visit.

Who will like it?  If you don't demand that things make sense--because while this book is beautifully written and imagined, it creates a world where magic simply happens.  And if that sounds lovely, this book is for you.  Language, imagery, and almost aching pretty-ness take priority; the plot is relatively simple.  Also, a warning--if you want to believe in magic, you will want to dive inside this book and live in it.  And if you like caramel apples, you will want to dive inside this book and live in it.

Judging a book by its cover: Can you for this book? Unequivocally, yes.  

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I've heard a lot about this book and still haven't read it. I guess I need to add it to my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete