Monday, November 12, 2012

Indispensable Tools for Writers

Every writer has a few tools that make writing easier or, sometimes, possible altogether.  Aside from the obvious "paper and pen" or "laptop" tools, my indispensable tools are as follows:

1) Purple pen.  I love editing with a purple pen.  I'll use light blue and pink when necessary, but for some reason it's always been purple.  I'm picky on the ink flow, though.  My current one is a little stingy.

2) French press.  Something about the ritual of coffee making gives me the break I need from the page more than the actual act of drinking coffee.  Not that the caffeine doesn't help, too.  (Hint: Add a sprinkle of good cinnamon or a drop of vanilla extract to the beans pre-brew.)

3) Giant Blue Notebook.  Everyone needs someplace to jot down ideas and make a big inky mess, right?

4) List pad.  I tend to remember that I need to buy eggs or mail the mortgage payment right before digging into writing the Scene of the Day.  There are two choices unless I want to forget: Go to the store and send the check immediately, or write it down.  Writing it down means getting my work for the day done.  Plus my notepad looks pretty on my desk.

5) Baby swing.  I don't use this personally.  That would be strange and, frankly, difficult, as I think I weigh about seven times the limit for these things.  However, the swing buys me a good hour of time from the cranky baby.  On non-cranky days the Moby wrap is my indispensable tool, but the trouble with the Moby is I feel so mobile that suddenly I'm in the kitchen making soup instead of writing with no memory of how I got there or decided to start chopping onion, so it's sort of bad, in the end, for writing.

What are your writer's tools of the trade?


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry I missed your announcement about the baby being born. Congratulations!!

    I hope you're both doing well.

    ReplyDelete