Skip to main content

Kicking the Bucket List

Recently a "getting to know you" question was posed at a (non-writing) online group I frequent: Three items from your bucket list. I was surprised how many women posted, as one of their top three bucket list items, some variant of getting published.  (I am assuming most meant traditional publication, not self-publishing.)

"Publish a book."

"Be a published writer."

"Publish something, maybe an article if not a book."

I shouldn't have been surprised that there are so many hopeful writers out there--after all, NaNoWriMo was conceived to help the millions of people who have said "Gosh, I would love to write a book" give that goal wings.  But I was, for a couple reasons, surprised how prominent writing and being published was on bucket lists.

One, I admit, was prideful.  I have worked darn hard to get where I am as a writer--and I'm not even published yet.  To put "publish a book" alongside "swim with the dolphins" and similar "experience" list items seems to misunderstand what it means to publish.  It's work.  It's hard, long, slogging, discouraging work.  It's not saving your money and planning a trip.  It's not screwing up the courage to skydive.  It's day-in, day-out working toward a goal.

But the other is less me being a jerk, more me being compassionate.  It's in the same vein--misunderstanding what it means to publish.  Because here's the thing--you can work day-in and day-out and still not publish.  You can make it your life's goal and never get there, through no fault of your own.  You can try, try, try again, and never achieve that external marker of success we call publication.

There's a difference between putting "write a book" on your bucket list, and putting "publish a book" (assuming you mean traditional publishing).  In the first, the onus is on you.  Either you write your book or you don't.  Either you take the time and put in the effort, or you don't finish your book.  But the second--you have much less control over that.  Yes, I do believe in hard work and dedication and perseverance, and that most of the time when combined with talent they will yield results.  Not always, though.  Sometimes a lifetime of striving still doesn't reach the goal.

And when that's the case--in my world, that item doesn't go on your bucket list.  Your bucket list is about what you can accomplish, not what might or might not be possible because of circumstances outside your control.  Those items--the ones you need a pinch of luck and/or a lot of help with--can go on your "lofty goals for my life" list, but, in my view, leave the bucket list for the things you can do on your own.

What do you think--are there writing goals that belong on the bucket list?  Am I off-base with how I see bucket lists?  Is the whole idea kind of dumb?

For fun:  Three things on my bucket list:

Learn classical guitar or another instrument that doesn't involve making space for a piano.
Make and wear a vintage "capsule wardrobe."
Learn enough of one of the many "I would love to learn [fill in the blank language]" to function on a trip there--and then take a trip that forces me to use it.

What are yours?

Comments

  1. Hi Rowenna! I definitely agree. It comes down to learning to be happy - do we base our happiness on extrinsic things that you have no control over (publish a book, act in Broadway) or on intrinsic things that you are responsible for (write a book, take care of a kitten)? And you should feel proud of yourself :)

    What's a capsule wardrobe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed you, Carrie! Excellent point about happiness. By capsule wardrobe I mean a few key pieces that I could mix and match to wear for, say, a week or so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Which I Finally Get to Say: Orbit is Publishing My Book!

I realize I’ve been a little quiet around here recently.  Moms of toddlers will tell you that it’s when things get quiet in their houses that they know *something* is happening.  With toddlers, silent happenings are usually not a good thing.  In writing? They can be a really awesome thing.
Long story short (when does that ever happen writing novels?): I’m incredibly excited to announce that Orbit will be publishing my novel Torn in spring of 2018—and even more exciting, we’ll be publishing a trilogy! The story follows a seamstress who can embed good luck charms into her creations--and becomes entangled in a revolution.
Obligatory Publisher's Marketplace screenshot--because this little blurb means this is super-duper, 100%, don't bother pinching me official!


Long story less short: Want to have the most exciting day of your career and then sit on the news for months? Then writing and publishing books is for you!  This has been in the works for a while, and though I’ve known for…

In Which the Writer Fills Out a Form

I've been writing for years.  Even if I only count the years of "this is getting sorta serious, aiming for publication," it's been a long time.  In that time--about a decade--I never identified myself publicly as a writer.

I thought of myself that way--if I had to pick a few words that make up my personal self-portrait, "writer" would be one of them.  But I didn't introduce myself that way to other people, or talk about it on Facebook or in those polite small-talk conversations at parties. Some close friends knew that I wrote steadily; a few knew where I was in the long, circling road to publication.  I suppose, if you cornered me, I didn't feel like I'd earned that moniker--I hadn't sold a book, I couldn't claim it as a profession, I wasn't "really" a writer in a way that the world at large would understand.

Which is fine--this isn't one of those empowering posts about owning who you are and claiming the name "Wri…

Still Smells Like Pine Needles Around Here...

So there's this scene in It's a Wonderful Life where Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey walks into his future wife Mary Hatch's house, awkwardly shambles through the foyer, nervously handles his hat, and remarks "I see it still smells like pine needles around here."

And this is what I'm feeling right about now.  See, George Bailey is *supposed* to be with Mary.  We just know it.  We know he has a purpose and that something bigger than him has vision that he can't even see.  But he's fought against it and tried a dozen other things and so when he's finally where he's supposed to be...well, I guess it still smells like pine needles or whatever.


Because if I'm George Bailey, writing is my Mary Hatch and it's been a long time since I've visited her.  I've been noncommittal and crappy to her.  Her mom is very justified in wondering why she doesn't just ditch me for Sam Wainwright.

I'm not fighting against anything, but I am …