Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Few Things on a Winter Saturday

I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I'm beginning to think I may be living in that Twilight Zone episode where the Earth is inexplicably slipping further and further away from the sun and it's cold and frozen and nothing can be done about it.

Because it's currently 2 below zero and probably 20 below wind chill.  And when it was 5 above a couple days ago?  And 14 below wind chill?  *I went outside without a coat on and thought it felt warm.*

At least we have books, right?  And tea?  And cocoa and sweaters and snuggly cats and blankets?

A few more things:

1) I'm a busy reviser, and while revisions used to be something that I didn't think I particularly excelled at (and I probably still don't) I'm finding I like them much more the more I grapple with them.  One small breakthrough--the mini outline.  I'm not an outliner, really.  However, I'm finding that slowing down and outlining short sections that I intend to revise--taking into consideration what's getting cut, what's getting moved, and what's going to be newly written--helps so much.  Plus, I can do this part during downtime at work and maximize writing time later.

2) Speaking of.  I started a new job tutoring writing and managing an online writing lab. I love it.  Best. Job. Ever.  It's so much fun working with students on improving their writing--or, for a few students I've seen, learning to write a paper for the first time.  Humbling, energizing, and fun.  It hardly feels like work.  Ok, except for explaining comma splices for the seventh time today.

3) I love that ebooks make authors' backlists more accessible.  Am loving some older works by favorite authors that I haven't been able to find in print.  Plus, the prices are often lower than new releases.  Seriously, treat yourself to a new old book.

Stay warm out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment