Skip to main content

Write When You Aren't Writing

The best way to get writing done?

Sit down and write.

The challenge of getting writing done?

Finding enough time to sit down and write.

Some of the best writing advice I’ve seen out there centers around one central theme—just sit down, take the blank page head on, and write. You've seen it, too.  It's great advice. I particularly like this exploration of the  BICHOK method of writing: Butt in chair, hands on keyboard (from publishingcrawl.com).  

Trouble is, I don’t have the luxury of having long hours of blank pages and keyboards and words ahead of me on my average day.  I have work, a toddler, a house to take care of, cats who prefer being fed to not, and obligations crammed into the tiny boxes on my calendar so tightly that I’m  pretty sure they get into fights over the armrest when I’m not looking.

The dirty little secret is that the majority of us are in the same boat.  We may be taking our careers seriously, but we aren't career writers with schedules constructed around that single obligation.  We’re circus performers—juggling jobs like balls, keeping errands and chores in the air like spinning plates, and getting plenty of practice at being schedule contortionists.


So I find that I need to amend that excellent writing advice just a little.

The time when you aren't writing matters, too.  

When you can't be at your computer (or pen and paper or stylus and parchment or whatever the rest of you crazy kids use to write), you can still be an active writer.  While I'm driving to work, making dinner, whatever task occupies my hands but leaves a little bit of my brain untapped, I think about "what next" or "how to fix that plot problem" or "ways to show this or that character's personality."  

I keep a little blue notebook on me all the time.  When I have a little downtime but not enough to actually dive into writing (especially when I'm at work), I make notes on what I plan to do later.



Though this is a great tool for drafting, I'm finding it's even more helpful for revisions.  I can organize my thoughts and set a plan for what changes I'll make when I do get to my document--so that I don't have spend time on that kind of brainstorming later.  

And it doesn't have to be pretty.  Proof:


Oh, well, that doesn't look too...



Ok, yeah, looks like the scrawlings of a madman.  And I assure you, anything that looks like a formal outline is, um, not actually very formal.  At all.

It's ok.  It helps me focus my thoughts, get the pre-writing stuff out of the way, so that when I get to my computer, there's nothing between me and productivity.  

Do you have any tips for "writing" when you're not writing?  For making the time you have to write count?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Which I Finally Get to Say: Orbit is Publishing My Book!

I realize I’ve been a little quiet around here recently.  Moms of toddlers will tell you that it’s when things get quiet in their houses that they know *something* is happening.  With toddlers, silent happenings are usually not a good thing.  In writing? They can be a really awesome thing.
Long story short (when does that ever happen writing novels?): I’m incredibly excited to announce that Orbit will be publishing my novel Torn in spring of 2018—and even more exciting, we’ll be publishing a trilogy! The story follows a seamstress who can embed good luck charms into her creations--and becomes entangled in a revolution.
Obligatory Publisher's Marketplace screenshot--because this little blurb means this is super-duper, 100%, don't bother pinching me official!


Long story less short: Want to have the most exciting day of your career and then sit on the news for months? Then writing and publishing books is for you!  This has been in the works for a while, and though I’ve known for…

In Which the Writer Fills Out a Form

I've been writing for years.  Even if I only count the years of "this is getting sorta serious, aiming for publication," it's been a long time.  In that time--about a decade--I never identified myself publicly as a writer.

I thought of myself that way--if I had to pick a few words that make up my personal self-portrait, "writer" would be one of them.  But I didn't introduce myself that way to other people, or talk about it on Facebook or in those polite small-talk conversations at parties. Some close friends knew that I wrote steadily; a few knew where I was in the long, circling road to publication.  I suppose, if you cornered me, I didn't feel like I'd earned that moniker--I hadn't sold a book, I couldn't claim it as a profession, I wasn't "really" a writer in a way that the world at large would understand.

Which is fine--this isn't one of those empowering posts about owning who you are and claiming the name "Wri…

Still Smells Like Pine Needles Around Here...

So there's this scene in It's a Wonderful Life where Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey walks into his future wife Mary Hatch's house, awkwardly shambles through the foyer, nervously handles his hat, and remarks "I see it still smells like pine needles around here."

And this is what I'm feeling right about now.  See, George Bailey is *supposed* to be with Mary.  We just know it.  We know he has a purpose and that something bigger than him has vision that he can't even see.  But he's fought against it and tried a dozen other things and so when he's finally where he's supposed to be...well, I guess it still smells like pine needles or whatever.


Because if I'm George Bailey, writing is my Mary Hatch and it's been a long time since I've visited her.  I've been noncommittal and crappy to her.  Her mom is very justified in wondering why she doesn't just ditch me for Sam Wainwright.

I'm not fighting against anything, but I am …