Skip to main content

Why Would a Grown-Up Read Young Adult?

There are two kinds of grown-up readers in the world.  Grown-ups who enjoy young adult fiction and grown-ups who deride young adult fiction.

Maybe I'm exaggerating.  But I've never met someone my own age or older who didn't either admit, maybe a little sheepishly, "Yeah, I'm reading that Marie Lu Legend trilogy...and I like it a lot" or state adamantly, "I don't get why grown people read kid books." No one seems to be on the fence, unopinionated, just kind of meh on young adult lit.

I'm not saying grown-ups have to like young adult books.  Not at all.  To say that would imply that everyone should like everything, and we all know that's not a realistic outlook.  I don't care for romance novels.  There, I've said it.  I'm not big on most epic fantasy.  Don't make me read Dickens, because you know what? His novels make me roll my eyes.  (Now, his short fiction, on the other hand...but I digress). 

But I'm not going say I don't understand why people read romance, or epic fantasy, or Dickens.  There's something to connect to in each, if you're seeking that particular connection.

I think that people who don't see why adults read young adult don't understand the connection adults make with the books.  They see young adult as a genre that's written about adolescents, for adolescents.

That's not really the case.  Young adult is a genre written about adolescence, not for adolescents

That might seem obtuse.  Here's the thing.  Adolescence isn't just a period of rapid physical growth, unfortunate acne, and confusing hormones.  Adolescence is a period of self-discovery, change, and growing into oneself. 

If you think that people, once they can vote, buy a beer, and rent a car have finished discovering themselves, changing, and growing, then I say that a) it makes sense why you don't connect with young adult literature and b) I think you're wrongsies.  Wrongsies on so many counts.  I've grown and changed--fundamentally changed--through so many adult experiences.  Marriage, new jobs, having a kid, moving--all experiences that foment personal change.

And all experiences that connect to what you might read in young adult literature. 

Katniss takes Prim's place in the Games and says "Shoot dang, who I was and what I did prepared me a little bit for this, but not nearly enough.  I need to change.  I need to change, fast."  I got married and say "Wowza, who I was before and the experiences I had give me some framework for this relationship, but not nearly enough.  I need to adapt."

Harry Potter finds out he's a wizard and says "Oh man, who the heck am I now? I thought I was one person, and I find I'm something else." I had a child and say "Wow, does this change who I am? I thought I was one person, and now I discover new elements of my personality."

Life keeps changing, we keep changing.  We keep learning more about who we are.  That element of adolescence never really ends.  And I'm in no way saying that reading young adult lit is the only way to connect to that fundamental experience, or that, if you don't enjoy YA, you're a stagnant and unchanging person.  Just like, if you don't like romance novels, I would never assume you have a black and bitter heart incapable of love. 

But we read, in many ways, to connect.  And there is something unique in what we connect to in YA, for those of us who enjoy it.

Or maybe we're just perpetually seventeen.

What do you think?  Is Young Adult for everyone, or are adults who gravitate toward it "reading down?" 

Comments

  1. I definitely think it can be for everyone - I loved Hunger Games, and you can pry my Harry Potter out of my cold, dead hands - but I'd disagree about the definition. Young adult fiction can be about adult (or child) characters, and adult fiction can have teenage protagonists; it's more about the style, tone, plot, and pacing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassidy! I agree that the definition of YA as a genre is much bigger and more complicated than what I've talked about here--I was trying to put on my reader hat and leave my writer hat off for a little while, and just think about how I connect to books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Which I Finally Get to Say: Orbit is Publishing My Book!

I realize I’ve been a little quiet around here recently.  Moms of toddlers will tell you that it’s when things get quiet in their houses that they know *something* is happening.  With toddlers, silent happenings are usually not a good thing.  In writing? They can be a really awesome thing.
Long story short (when does that ever happen writing novels?): I’m incredibly excited to announce that Orbit will be publishing my novel Torn in spring of 2018—and even more exciting, we’ll be publishing a trilogy! The story follows a seamstress who can embed good luck charms into her creations--and becomes entangled in a revolution.
Obligatory Publisher's Marketplace screenshot--because this little blurb means this is super-duper, 100%, don't bother pinching me official!


Long story less short: Want to have the most exciting day of your career and then sit on the news for months? Then writing and publishing books is for you!  This has been in the works for a while, and though I’ve known for…

In Which the Writer Fills Out a Form

I've been writing for years.  Even if I only count the years of "this is getting sorta serious, aiming for publication," it's been a long time.  In that time--about a decade--I never identified myself publicly as a writer.

I thought of myself that way--if I had to pick a few words that make up my personal self-portrait, "writer" would be one of them.  But I didn't introduce myself that way to other people, or talk about it on Facebook or in those polite small-talk conversations at parties. Some close friends knew that I wrote steadily; a few knew where I was in the long, circling road to publication.  I suppose, if you cornered me, I didn't feel like I'd earned that moniker--I hadn't sold a book, I couldn't claim it as a profession, I wasn't "really" a writer in a way that the world at large would understand.

Which is fine--this isn't one of those empowering posts about owning who you are and claiming the name "Wri…

Still Smells Like Pine Needles Around Here...

So there's this scene in It's a Wonderful Life where Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey walks into his future wife Mary Hatch's house, awkwardly shambles through the foyer, nervously handles his hat, and remarks "I see it still smells like pine needles around here."

And this is what I'm feeling right about now.  See, George Bailey is *supposed* to be with Mary.  We just know it.  We know he has a purpose and that something bigger than him has vision that he can't even see.  But he's fought against it and tried a dozen other things and so when he's finally where he's supposed to be...well, I guess it still smells like pine needles or whatever.


Because if I'm George Bailey, writing is my Mary Hatch and it's been a long time since I've visited her.  I've been noncommittal and crappy to her.  Her mom is very justified in wondering why she doesn't just ditch me for Sam Wainwright.

I'm not fighting against anything, but I am …