Monday, May 5, 2014

Weird Things I Do That Aren't Writing

I think every good writer is, in fact, a weirdo.  At least, every writer I've met is a weirdo.  With weirdo hobbies.

Being a weirdo is good.  It makes you interesting.

It's funny how many of us try to hide our weirdo tendencies and hobbies, thinking that we'll be judged or excluded from some kind of elite club on the basis of our fly fishing or our fencing or our cookie jar collection.

OK, so maybe the cookie jars might be a problem... (30Rock, anyone?)
 
So, I thought I'd own up to some of my weirdo hobbies.  Those of you who have been with me a while might know about some of them (which I wrote about here on my much-neglected personal blog).  But for any new friends, I'm waving my freak flag and admitting that:
 
1) I am a historical reenactor.  Yep, I dress up in historical clothing and hang out in a temporary canvas city equipped with reproduction musekts and cannons and cooking pots and talk with visitors about life during the....REVOLUTIONARY War.  That's right, not the Civil War.  I not only have a hugely dorky hobby, I have an obscure dorky hobby.  But as we often say, there's nothing civil about us.  In fact, we're revolting.  (Badum-ching!)
 
 
Me playing Molly Pitcher.  Well, not really.  We don't play characters.  But in a "Whoops, we don't enough guys for a full cannon crew" moment, I stepped in to run rounds for the cannon.  (Molly stepped in to work the front of the gun, for the record.)
 
 
2) In relation to Point 1, I sew a lot of historical clothing.  By hand, often.  My current projects are a set of stays (women's corset) and buttonholes for a military uniform coat.
 
3) I swing dance.  My husband and I dance together--now that we live in Podunk instead of Awesome University Town, we usually dance in our kitchen.  Accordingly, my iPod is stocked chockablock full of 1920s, 30s, and 40s music.  I know way more Bing Crosby than Robin Thicke.


4) I love vintage clothing.  I don't have the chutzpah to wear it in my normal life, aside from the occasional kicky dress or bow-tie blouse, but I love making up vintage patterns for special occasions, like this 1930s dinner dress for a friend's birthday party.

 
 
OK, so fess up.  Weirdo hobbies?

1 comment:

  1. I have some tame hobbies like gardening and sewing.

    But I have a couple of odds ones like growing orchids and brewing beer. (And I've done a bit of re-enacting. I just love costumes.)

    Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I appreciate your prayers for my husband!

    ReplyDelete