Skip to main content

How Stripping Wallpaper is like Revising

Stick with me long enough, and you'll discover I like odd comparisons, a la "How is a Raven like a Writing Desk."  (I also love Alice in Wonderland, but that's another point entirely.)

Because I like odd comparisons, I find myself making them to writing while doing otherwise unrelated things.

Like stripping wallpaper.

My husband and I just bought a Rather Old House and my latest adventure is ridding it of some unfortunate decorating choices.  First up is the laundry/utility area upstairs, which was papered c.1977 with mildly dizzying brown, gold, and orange flowered stuff.  The homeowners managed to find matching fabric for curtains, too.  Pristine vintage, except it's horrifyingly ugly.

Can you even *buy* matching paper and fabric anymore?
So as I spent hours tearing a harvest gold meadow from hell off the walls, I found myself comparing the process to revision.

After all, redecorating and revising share some similarities--the basic structure is already there, but you're changing how it looks and polishing it up and perhaps moving some major things around.  Wallpaper lessons that apply to both:

1) It's going to take some time.  There is no method to stripping wallpaper that's going to let you breeze through it, and no method to revision that's going to be a cakewalk, either.  You have to commit some serious time to it.  Sure, timesaving methods exist (thank you, Paper Tiger for wallpaper and colored pens when I'm revising) but they're still not snap-your-fingers done.

2) You don't need anything fancy.  I discovered via the interwebs a low-cost, low-chemical helper for peeling off wallpaper--fabric softener.  Cheaper than the made-for-wallpaper stuff, works just fine, and you might already have it lying around.  Same goes with revising.  Yes, there are guidebooks and professional editors and lots of other tools out there at your disposal.  And none of them are, in and of themselves, a bad thing.  You might find yourself needing some outside help eventually.  But for the first pass, all you really need is your rear in the chair and your document either open or printed in front of you.

3) If it's not coming off, you're probably not tugging at the right place.  This happened time and time again as I worked the wallpaper off--I would be fighting it from one end as it shredded and I had to pick the shards of sticky paper off, then I would find another angle and the whole piece would come off like one big scab.  (Yes, stripping wallpaper is kind of like picking a scab...)  With revision, if all you're doing is poking a couple words around, it's probably because you're not getting at the right angle.  Maybe you're wordsmithing when what really needs to be done is move the scene into a different POV.  Maybe you're nitpicking dialogue when you really need to be asking if the conversation should be included to begin with.  Regardless--revision is hard, but if it's *too* hard, it's probably because you're not finding the real issue.

4) Welcome disasters as potential happy accidents.  So I decided to run a load of laundry while stripping paper, only to discover that the dryer doesn't actually vent anywhere.  The room turned into a steambath.  This will, of course, need to be fixed--but you would not believe how easily that wallpaper came off after a full-immersion steaming.  Sometimes you discover a major issue with your manuscript--a plot hole, a character who's totally inconsistent.  Yet, as you work on that problem, you find that a whole mess of issues you either couldn't identify before or didn't know how to fix stem directly from that problem.  You can strip off big swaths of crap writing and get back to the good bones of your work.

Ahhh...one wall done and a pile of wallpaper on the floor.  That feels better.
So, time-consuming, not easy, and potentially frustrating--but in both cases, the final result is so much better than what you started with!

Comments

  1. Well, I wasn't sure where you were going when I read the title of your post, but yes, quite blooming right, I see your point now! Great stuff, Rowenna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, by the way, email me with your address, so I can send your pattern!! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable to the Page: Writing and Schedules

Tuesday I shared what gets me motivated to write--today I'm thinking about what I can do to hold myself to write.  Having a schedule or goal or other expectation keeps you accountable to your work--and the best partner, I think, to creativity is accountability.  We writers have a little problem most of the time during our writing careers: We aren't accountable to anyone but ourselves and the page--no boss, no time card, no nosy coworkers--so we have to create that accountability for ourselves.  I want more of a schedule-based writing life, and a few ways of doing so have emerged for me: 1) The Clock Method .  This one is basic--you clock in, you clock out.  Your butt is in your chair for a set number of hours each day, hands on keyboard, writing. 2) The Goal Method .  A little more flexible, but also, in my opinion, harder to hold yourself to.  You have a daily (or, depending on your schedule and lifestyle, weekly) writing goal, and you meet it by scheduling yourself to com

Going to Your Happy (Writing) Place

Slumps happen.  Sometimes they're life-induced--no matter how much of  a superwriter you are, it's not easy to balance giant life changes and normal writing habits.  Sometimes they're creativity-zappage-induced--everyone hits a point where you just don't feel like writing.  Or thinking.  Or being creative or imaginative at all. Either way, when you decide to get back in the swing of things, I find two things help. One is a schedule--more on that on Thursday. The other is finding your happy place. No, seriously.  I don't do the tortured artist thing.  Even if I'm writing something deep or introspective or dark (umm, as deep or dark as I can get, anyway...), I find I do much better if I start with a smile.  Or at least not a scowl. So I've identified a few things that never fail to put me in a better mood--and a more optimistic mood is a better writing mood, at least for me.  Because if you're feeling like a giant pessimist, you start to

Plot Crap

If you ever watch a movie with my husband and I, you're very likely, if it's not a great movie and sometimes even if it is, to hear me exclaim at some point, "OK, this is total plot crap, right?" What do I mean by plot crap?  And does it apply to books? Are you calling this plot crap? Plot crap does not mean crappy plot.  In fact, it can often have nothing to do with how well a story is plotted.  A great example of plot crap is the movie Gladiator .  Now, I love this movie.  I love the story, the incredibly orchestrated battle scenes, even the soundtrack.  But the historical facts framing the film?  Total plot crap.  Sure, Marcus Aurelius and Commodus existed...but there are a lot of factual missteps.  There's no evidence that Marcus Aurelius ever wanted to restore the Republic, therefore the basis of the film's struggle is historical plot crap.  (Commodus also didn't die in the arena, but was strangled in his bath.  Sometimes truth really is more