Skip to main content

In Which I Finally Get to Say: Orbit is Publishing My Book!

I realize I’ve been a little quiet around here recently.  Moms of toddlers will tell you that it’s when things get quiet in their houses that they know *something* is happening.  With toddlers, silent happenings are usually not a good thing.  In writing? They can be a really awesome thing.

Long story short (when does that ever happen writing novels?): I’m incredibly excited to announce that Orbit will be publishing my novel Torn in spring of 2018—and even more exciting, we’ll be publishing a trilogy! The story follows a seamstress who can embed good luck charms into her creations--and becomes entangled in a revolution.

Obligatory Publisher's Marketplace screenshot--because this little blurb means this is super-duper, 100%, don't bother pinching me official!



Long story less short: Want to have the most exciting day of your career and then sit on the news for months? Then writing and publishing books is for you!  This has been in the works for a while, and though I’ve known for a while that Orbit had interest in this book, we're ready to announce!  There are all kinda of behind-the-scenes things you don’t necessarily think about while you’re blithely typing away on your novel, and I'm thrilled about what Orbit has in store for this novel and its sequels!

Good things are worth the wait, and beyond the obvious Good Thing of a publishing deal, I’m absolutely thrilled about where I landed.  My editor, Sarah Guan, is not only a genius, not only gets the novel and what I’m trying to accomplish with it, she’s an incredibly lovely person.  I can’t wait to continue working with the rest of the Orbit team, too!


And of course, a huge shout-out to my agent extraordinaire, who has stuck with me not only through this deal but for the long haul leading up to it.  Jessica Sinsheimer, you’re awesomesauce with a macaron on top.

Because of course The Big Day of Giant Announcement Happiness would coincide with the day your child is home from school because of fog (thanks, weather) and that you're baking obligatory pies (thanks, giant family picnic), I'll just say--squeeee! and there will be more news and updates to come.  Thanks to everyone who has supported, encouraged, and occasionally smacked me so far--you're appreciated more than you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Your Happy (Writing) Place

Slumps happen.  Sometimes they're life-induced--no matter how much of  a superwriter you are, it's not easy to balance giant life changes and normal writing habits.  Sometimes they're creativity-zappage-induced--everyone hits a point where you just don't feel like writing.  Or thinking.  Or being creative or imaginative at all. Either way, when you decide to get back in the swing of things, I find two things help. One is a schedule--more on that on Thursday. The other is finding your happy place. No, seriously.  I don't do the tortured artist thing.  Even if I'm writing something deep or introspective or dark (umm, as deep or dark as I can get, anyway...), I find I do much better if I start with a smile.  Or at least not a scowl. So I've identified a few things that never fail to put me in a better mood--and a more optimistic mood is a better writing mood, at least for me.  Because if you're feeling like a giant pessimist, you start to

Plot Crap

If you ever watch a movie with my husband and I, you're very likely, if it's not a great movie and sometimes even if it is, to hear me exclaim at some point, "OK, this is total plot crap, right?" What do I mean by plot crap?  And does it apply to books? Are you calling this plot crap? Plot crap does not mean crappy plot.  In fact, it can often have nothing to do with how well a story is plotted.  A great example of plot crap is the movie Gladiator .  Now, I love this movie.  I love the story, the incredibly orchestrated battle scenes, even the soundtrack.  But the historical facts framing the film?  Total plot crap.  Sure, Marcus Aurelius and Commodus existed...but there are a lot of factual missteps.  There's no evidence that Marcus Aurelius ever wanted to restore the Republic, therefore the basis of the film's struggle is historical plot crap.  (Commodus also didn't die in the arena, but was strangled in his bath.  Sometimes truth really is more